Thursday, January 29, 2015

Lamest Showcase Ever

Today's the first day I'm doing this, right, so it stands to reason that I'd be totally unprepared for it.  Blame the fact that I'm still not into the swing of being a diurnal person again.  (Free vocabulary word for you there: diurnal is awake during the day and asleep during the night -- the opposite of nocturnal.)  In any case, I haven't exactly asked anyone yet if I can feature their projects on my blog, so I'm forced to, uh... not.

Since I don't have permission to use anyone's pictures for anything (standard practice; makes total sense), I'm sort of limited in what I can put up for today's post.  My solution is to feature patterns rather than projects, and only patterns I've made, so I can put up pictures that belong to me!  I think this is a pretty genius (and laughable) solution.  I also think I should be way more prepared for next Thursday.

So we're showcasing amigurumi patterns today, because I have amis on my mind lately and I've done several cute ones.  All these patterns are paid, but all are under $5US.

Ready for cuteness?
This first one was a gift for my brother T.  He didn't turn out quite as expected, but it's nearly painful how adorable this little guy turned out.


Yes!  It's Gandalf the Gray! (Link goes to pattern page on Ravelry, where you can see what he's supposed to look like, and purchase the pattern for $2.99US.)  He was designed by Jana Whitley and not meant to look even a little bit like this.  The pattern has been updated since I made him, but I'm not sure how much was changed or if that would fix my problems.

The body turned out significantly shorter than the pattern indicated, so I had to shorten the beard to make it fit properly.  That made the proportions all wrong, which really frustrated me until I put him together and realized it only serves to make him cuter.  The hat is meant to sort of surround his head rather than just perch on top, but it suits him (and is perfectly Gandalf-shaped, so that's awesome).  The best thing though, is that mouth.  The mouth is one straight stitch in black embroidery thread, and on the original it looks very serious and distinguished.  Somehow, my Gandalf has a mischievous smile.  I have no idea how that happened, but as soon as I sewed it in I fell in love and had to leave it.

My version turned out cute enough that I recommend the pattern to experienced crocheters who don't mind doing some alterations.  It takes some work, but he's well worth it.  (I dubbed this one Gandalf the Tiny.)


This next one is Part One of Four, and a gift for my other brother M.


Tiny Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle[s] designed by Sublyminal Cat and on sale at Ravelry for $3.50US (link goes directly to pattern page).  I was really skeptical about this pattern, especially after Gandalf the Tiny up there, but I followed the pattern as it was written and it came out perfectly.  This is Leonardo, obviously.  Raphael is partially done, and all that exists of Donatello and Michelangelo currently is a shell and some tiny green limbs.  (Obviously I had to make them in order!)

They are truly tiny.  Leo here fits into my hand.  To give you a sense of scale, here he is posing next to my lip balm.


As you can see, he's a bitty one.  But this doesn't dampen his fighting spirit.  He's just the right size for toothpicks covered in silver duct tape to serve for his two swords (we're still working on how to make everyone else's weapons, specifically Raph's.)

If you like Ninja Turtles, you really should get these.  They'll bring a ton of smiles to your face, I promise.  And they're really easy!  I have no skills with scissors and even I managed to get the felt parts right.


My last one was a gift for a couple of little kids I used to babysit, which is appropriate because the pattern was gifted to me!


It is a Pteranodon!  In fact, it's a PlanetJune pattern, so you know it's obviously amazing.  The link goes to June's website listing, where you can purchase this pattern for $5US.  I would suggest, however, that if you're into dinosaurs you should purchase the 3-pack, which also gives you the Plesiosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus Rex.  There's also an expansion pack to turn this sucker into a Dimorphodon.  Essentially, if you like dinosaurs you should explore June's site, because she's done a lot of work with her dinosaurs.

As with all her patterns, Pteranodon is clearly written for both right- and left-handed crocheters.  Her shaping on the wings is absolutely brilliant, which makes it a lot of fun.  They are somewhat poseable (I curved them for flying and straightened them out when he landed), but only incidentally.  He can stand up properly on his own two feet, although I've shown him flying.

This is one of those things I'm going to make again for sure, not least because I don't have one of my own yet.  A few years ago a conversation with my boyfriend about dinosaurs resulted in a joking deal where I'd make him dinosaurs if he bought them.  Surprise!  He bought me the 3-pack linked above.  True to my word, I made him a blue plesiosaurus.  Later I made this pteranodon as well as a plesiosaurus (green, I think) and T-rex (red?) and gifted the whole set to the kids I'd been babysitting for a few years.  I've not kept any of the dinos.  The ones I make myself will be well-thought-out and special, that's for sure!

So there's my Thursday Showcase for this week.  Tomorrow, we shall talk victories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments: I love hearing from you!