Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ravellenic Games Day Six

Why did no one inform me it was Stupid Drivers Only Day?  That would have been nice to know before I went out on the road today!  Driving Tip Of The Day:  When you signal to turn left, move into the left-turn-only lane, don't just block up the straight lane!

In other news, I've discovered that people with weird or unusual hobbies and passions are more likely to listen to each other talk about their passions even if they don't share them.  Case in point: My English teacher has a great love for pens and pencils.  He spends a great deal of money on really nice vintage pens that have a rich history, fancy quick-dry ink from Liverpool (because he's left-handed), and "the most perfect pencil in the world" according to somebody.  And we spent half of English class today talking about the pens he uses to grade our papers (a Parker 51)and how using a favorite pen or pencil actually makes the writing process more pleasing.  Some students were laughing, but I was really interested.  It's always wonderful to listen to people talk about subjects they really care about.

My knitting circle was tonight, as I think I mentioned yesterday.  My best friend ended up having to do something for his world history class, so I knew he wouldn't be coming.  But no one else came either!  I did not expect to be the only one there tonight, but I was able to make significant progress on my socks (more on that in a minute).

The medal count seems to be stalled.  Are we just not finishing quick projects anymore?  Just a a reminder, we have 8 medals total, from the following categories:

Cable Cross-Country (1)
Cross Cowling (1)
Mitten Moguls (1)
Single Skein Speed Skate (2)
Stash Skeleton (1)
WIPs Dancing (2)

My spinning sort of... crashed.



Yes, that's right.  Only one gram.  I planned to finish spinning this single tomorrow, so I'll really have to step on it to get that done.  On the other hand...


I have almost a complete sock!  Saying "20 leg rounds and 11 ribbing rounds" doesn't really cover the depth of the work I did tonight.  I ripped out the ribbing twice.  I wandered up and down the room trying to figure out how I wanted to work the rib so it would line up with the cables properly. (I ended up doing this thing that used both 2x2 and 2x1 in different places, and just let the 4-stitch cable carry up into the ribbing.  Looks pretty darn cool.)  I knit 12 ribbing rounds and started to bind off (with JSSBO) but ran out, so ripped out the bindoff and the 12th row (undoing cables is not my favorite thing), and tried again.  I ran out again with about six stitches left.  So I frogged the bindoff again, which is horrid because getting nearly sixty tiny loops back onto four needles is seriously not enjoyable.  And now it's waiting for me to decide how on earth I'm going to deal with this extremely obnoxious sock cuff.

On a happier note, I love the dark green cuff on the light green sock.  Both are semi-solid yarns, and I just love them together.  I'm glad they play nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments: I love hearing from you!