Sunday, July 6, 2014

Productivity!

Today has been an incredibly productive day on several fronts.

In addition to getting "school" pictures taken and wandering the mall, I got the following things done:

  • Dusted my room and the gameroom (and offered to dust my brothers' room but it didn't need doing)
  • Vacuumed the entire upstairs except my room because the floor isn't quite clean yet
  • Washed, dried, and sorted three loads of laundry for the family, folded and put away my part
  • Washed, dried, folded, and put away a load of my own clothes
  • Cleaned the kitchen, including washing all the dishes
  • Emptied all the trash cans I'm responsible for emptying
And I got my Tour de Fleece spinning done too.


Read on for bigger pictures and some stories.  Remember to click on images to get a closer look.

This morning I didn't get up until brunch was ready.  As soon as we were done eating we had to get dressed for our annual "school" pictures at JCPenny's photo department.  I snatched up Róisín and my yellow-and-blue fiber bundle, and started spinning in the car.  I spun all through the photo shoot, except when I was in front of the camera, and all through the discussion and choosing of pictures at the end. I was almost finished with half the yellow turtle when we left, but paused to take a cool picture of my family plus the sales guy, from behind.


Notice Matthew wearing the Doctor Who scarf he knit during this year's Ravellenic Games.

We wandered the mall for a while afterward, stopping in the LEGO and Disney stores for a peek around.  I spun as I walked, and Matthew knit as he walked, and my mother thought we were both weirdos.  But it was productive, so I was happy.  I finished the yellow turtle in the car on the way home.

The blue turtle I spun at home in between loads of laundry.  For a while I perched on a bar stool in the kitchen and watched tennis, which Dad had on for no particular reason.  Mom took a nap on the other couch.


Taking pictures of my spindle like this is awkward because I don't actually use my left hand for that part.  I hold the fiber in my right hand and do most of the work (flicking the spindle, controlling the twist, most of the drafting) with my left.  Is this backwards?  Even the first time I picked up a homemade spindle, I seemed to be all thumbs when the fiber (which at that point was commercial yarn I was playing with) was in my left hand, but perfectly in control when it was in my right.  My left hand snapped the spindle better than my right, too, so I just kept spinning that way.

I decided to start a new layer with the last bit of fiber just because I like the little star shape and it seems to hold the end down better.  It looked so cute with the shaft out that I just took a picture of the turtle with the arms still sticking out.


The blue ended up a lot bigger than the yellow.  I'm not sure if that's because the yellow is denser or taller, or if there's just more fiber in the blue.  I'm still thinking about what to do with leftover singles.  I might make some crazy variegated two-ply with whatever I end up with.


And I've decided to make a bit of a series out of the fiber grid, so here's the shot of today's grid.


Tomorrow: more spinning, more cleaning, and possibly some reading and knitting.  And I need more of these little cotton pads, so maybe crocheting as well.

2 comments:

  1. Your Spinning is Awesome! I'm so glad to hear you spun and walked at the mall. That is what I do on my walk with my dad every morning. I'm 52 and dad is 73. We walk because it helps both of us. I was thrilled to read that your brother is knitting and walking. Since it seems that both of you are young people, I hope that you can be an inspiration to other teens/YA in your town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nice to know we aren't the only ones who do that! Yes, I'm nineteen and he's fourteen. We're getting people on the bandwagon slowly!

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments: I love hearing from you!